Saturday, August 18, 2012

Braggin' Rights

 2 Corinthians 19:17:18
Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)

17 “Whoever boasts should boast only about the Lord.”  18 What people say about themselves means nothing. What counts is whether the Lord says they have done well.

I read this the other day and had a strong urge to get up on a high horse.  It's a tricky thing to feel like you see something clearly...more clearly than someone else...and still stay within the bounds of what you saw so clearly in the first place.  Exactly...one of life's riddles. 

It is easy to point out and recognise when someone is boasting and bragging about the things they've done and accomplished.  And per this scripture, it doesn't get them anywhere.  But whenever I start to climb onto one those high horses, and I have several available, just waiting for a ride, I can't even get a foot into a stirrup and I see the other side of the riddle. 

It is the false humility side of this that jumps off that horses back and right into my face.  You see, that's the tricky part.  I read this verse and automatically start pointing fingers...but I am aware enough to realize this puts me on that same level of the boaster. 

It's not what one says about themselves, or even what someone else says about someone that matters.  It's what God says.  The way I see it, if we find ourselves boasting, whether it's true or even if it's just about how humble we are, we've just made it worthless. 

This might take me the rest of my life to perfect...but I want my braggin' to be about God and I want God to be the one braggin' on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment