Friday, November 18, 2011

The High Road

1 Peter 2:15-16
New Century Version (NCV)

15 It is God's desire that by doing good you should stop foolish people from saying stupid things about you.16 Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as an excuse to do evil. Live as servants of God.

At first glance, this may not seem like a post about thankfulness.  In fact, as I sat down to write, I did not think I was particularly thankful.  But, having typed a few lines and then back spaced, I realized that, actually, I am thankful.  I am thankful for my job.  And the inspiration for this post that I got today through a situation at work. 

I have been dealing with a rather petty person who was doing something rather petty.  Trying to analyze everything and everybody is one of my downfalls, however, I have been at a loss to try and figure out what this person's problem is.  And at a loss to figure out how to respond or deal with the situation. 

I definitely did not want to stoop to the level that pettiness is on.  (I don't like to do that because it compromises my invisible crown)  Yet, I knew that eventually I would have to deal with the issue.  Fortunately, for me, the person finally said something to the boss (as opposed to everyone else) and the boss approached me and I was able to explain the, uh, pettiness. 

To make a long story short, I ended up taking the "high road" (which is definitely not instinctive!) and apologized for any "confusion".  (Between you and me, the person was definitely not confused but, as I've mentioned, petty)  Anyway, on my drive home I had nothing to do other than contemplate this whole deal.  I admit that part of me wished I could of just given the what for.  (now that is instinctive)  I also know I wouldn't have felt any better and my invisible crown would've lost its perch on my head.  Then this scripture that I read a few days ago came to my mind and I thought -- exactly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment